[Baypiggies] [ANN] "In Search of Tomorrow" - a lecture by Chris Granger of LighTable/Eve fame at UC Berkeley

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 21:29:10 EST 2015

Hi all,

while not specifically python-oriented, I suspect this may be of interest
to many on this list, apologies if not.  Chris Granger will be giving next
week's lecture at the Berkeley Institute for Data Science about his ideas
on computing environments, the talk is open to the public.

http://bids.berkeley.edu/events/search-tomorrow

Cheers,

# Details

December 11, 2015
1:00pm to 2:30pm
190 Doe Library

Title: In Search of Tomorrow

Data Science Lecture Series

If you were asked to imagine what computation will look like in 10 years,
what would you say? Perhaps something to do with large-scale data analysis
in R or functional programming. Maybe you imagine the rise of some of the
more interesting nascent languages of today. That's where we started, but
through an odd journey over the past several years, we've ended up
somewhere entirely different in the pursuit of an alternative form of
programming. Through dozens of prototypes, constant testing with real
people, and a willingness to throw it all away, we've learned a great deal
about what it would mean to turn the computer back into a tool for
thought—not just for you or me, but for all of us.

** SPEAKER **

Chris Granger. Co-Founder and CEO, Kodowa

I grew up as part of the Nintendo generation, having learned the parts of a
computer at the age of two and later learning numbers and colors from a
Sesame Street game on the NES. I started programming at the age of 10 and
took my first paid development gig at 17. Since then, I’ve built websites
large and small, written frameworks and libraries used by thousands, taught
developers around the world, and helped envision the future of development
at Microsoft. These days, I’m the co-founder and CEO of Kodowa, where we
built the next-generation code editor Light Table and now Eve, a new vision
for putting computation in the hands of everyone.