[Baypiggies] Suggestions on Python training for first programming language?

seth f sfseth at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 03:28:36 CEST 2014

Hi folks,

I have a good friend of 20+ years that seems curious about getting more
technical.   She's whip-smart, super creative, and frustrated with her
current gig, which I gather is like somewhere in between editor of content
and QA.

My initial reaction was, the Python community especially around here is
super cool, of course that's what my first thought is.  Get above (or
below) the content level, get to the machinery at work, a happier life
exists.

Question to the group, I ask on her behalf: can anyone recommend any
particular python classes?  Or is anyone doing tutoring kind of stuff?   jj?

It would sadden me to see her go off into PHP or Perl lands, I think it
would be a couple of years of "wow" and then a world of despair.  Java I
think the corporateness would get to her right off.

So of course I'm biased but I suggested Python... I suggested Ruby too,
with the caveat that I just found Ruby to be cutesy, and both of us are
pretty dark in our senses of humor.

Anyway, if we've got any Python educators on the list please let me know.

Thanks!
seth