[Baypiggies] Mentorship?

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Thu Dec 18 04:39:13 CET 2014

I highly recommend the two suggestions that you already received (PyClass:
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/PyClass  and SF Python Meetup:
http://sfpythonmeetup.com).

Also, if you wish to pair program with someone, I often find individuals
who want to learn more and pair program with them on many of my projects.

It makes my projects stronger (because two pairs of eyes with two sets of
brains does make much stronger code). I heavily use TDD and BDD. Saying
that and setting your expectation keeps me honest when I want to cut
corners :)

Here is an introductory video that Craig helped me create so that I could
demonstrate Pair Programming to beginners. I have not yet made a similar
BDD video (using a tool called Behave) but have been over due in doing so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNgmSiesOG0

If something like that is interesting to you, I'm always open. I can't
afford to pay you for it... so it is free labor (but the projects are open
source). And, frankly, because of a big personal deadline, I've had to
pause this for most of the autumn (sorry, Alex, if you're listening -- I
hadn't forgotten about you).

I'm sure there are other great resources out there, too. I know that JJ
really loves mentoring when he has time.

Finally, if you can afford it, I *highly* recommend going to PyCon. They
have tutorials. But, even if you only go on the weekends, there are so many
talks and so many people to see, you can't help but learn more (I already
have my tickets :)

https://us.pycon.org/2015/

It's a great community. We love encouraging anyone who wants to be a better
programmer...

Kindest Regards,

Glen Jarvis

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 10:20 PM, Tanner Steele <sp3ctralsrealm at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Would anybody be interested in mentoring a tenacious individual who is
> relatively new to the language? I've been working on learning Python, and
> the fundamentals of Django for the past few weeks, and am currently
> reaching out for mentorship. Any help/resources would be greatly
> appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> TJ

Glen Jarvis