[Baypiggies] Bay Area python competitive programming

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 06:58:23 CET 2014

The programming contests that JJ mentioned took place at PyCon and PyCon
Asia-Pacific, and I believe EuroPython, were sponsored by SingPath
<http://singpath.com>. (I didn't run them, I participated and also got
something handed back to me. Perhaps I "knew too much," and their parser
didn't understand the code I wrote.) Anyway, the sponsor gave out prizes
like an iPad for the first developer to complete the 40 or so Python
"challenges." Rather than being a puzzler like the Python Challenge
<http://www.pythonchallenge.com/>, it was more of solving individual
problems using normal Python code.

While those were one-time events, you can go to http://singpath.com any
time to practice and improve your Python (or Java or any of the other
languages/dev environments they support). I just logged in, and it seems
now that you can create your own programming challenges in SingPath or
sign-up for concurrent global competitions/tournaments.

Cheers,
--Wesley

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Glen Jarvis <glen at glenjarvis.com> wrote:

> JJ,
>
>    That's awesome. Thanks for all the leads.
>
> Very cool :)
>
> Glen
>
> On Dec 16, 2014, at 7:47 PM, Shannon -jj Behrens <jjinux at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There are all sorts of programming competitions. Some require you to solve
> multiple problems in a short amount of time. Some require you to build
> software that competes against other pieces of software; these competitions
> might last one or multiple days. There's the week long competition in which
> you program a video game in Python called PyWeek. There's the yearly ICFP
> programming competition which is (in my opinion) perhaps the most
> illustrious competition.
>
> I've participated in several programming competitions. Wesley Chun hosted
> a programming competition at PyCon a few years back. As usual, I got my
> butt handed to me in a box ;) In this case, a young Russian kid won the
> competition.
>
> Apparently, they train for this sort of thing in Russia. They have
> programming competition coaches in the same way you might have a tennis
> coach here.
>
> On Tue Dec 16 2014 at 9:11:33 AM Glen Jarvis <glen at glenjarvis.com> wrote:
>
>> Apparently, there is something called "competitive programming." I always
>> watched MasterChef cooking style shows and imagined a similar experience in
>> programming.
>>
>> But, since competitive programming apparently already exists, I was not
>> the first to have this idea.
>>
>> Has there ever been a local competitive event (in any language?) Has
>> there ever been a Python event?
>>
>> I'm super interested in an environment where people can use the
>> experience to grow and develop. Conversely, I'm not interested in the chest
>> beating ego maniacs... They aren't that hard to find in the wild :)
>>
>> If I can go to a few Competitive Program events to see what they are
>> like, I would happily host one for Junior Programmers just learning Python.
>>
>> Any experiences or resources out there for the Bay Area?
>>
>> Glen

"A computer never does what you want... only what you tell it."
    +wesley chun <http://google.com/+WesleyChun> : wescpy at gmail : @wescpy
<http://twitter.com/wescpy>
    Python training & consulting : http://CyberwebConsulting.com
    "Core Python" books : http://CorePython.com