[Baypiggies] Which tree or trie library?

Stephen McInerney spmcinerney at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 12 00:48:00 CET 2013

I'm looking for advice (and also good overviews) on tree and trie implementations in
Python. I already did some reading and it's a tower of Babel out there (StackOverflow , pypi, macports etc.); I can't find any good overviews. Apparently figuring out which package to use causes severe grief, especially to people from other languages where these exist in stdlib.

In my current use case I need an n-ary tree or trie to store 32,000 UK regions and placenames.
Max depth is 6. The keys are strings, possibly multiword. The values should be arbitrary objects. Must run on a Mac.

Requirements:

- doesn't need to be fancy. Only needs to support insert, and lookup by name,
  and also hierarchical lookup by name, e.g. there is a location UK->North East England->Tyne & Wear->Newcastle Upon Tyne, hence we should be able to lookup 'Newcastle Upon Tyne'
  at any node from the root downwards. There may be multiple hits.

- not esssential, but ideally it can understand names can have synonyms/aliases,
  e.g. UK->SW England is an alias to UK->South West England or UK->Cymru to UK->Wales
  (however if we walk the tree, only the set of unique canonical names should get returned)
  (Fail that, I can manually merge nodes.)

- efficiency (memory or CPU) is not a concern in this application, but I'd like to know
  which packages are efficient so I use a decent one.

- later on I may want to import geolocations and postcodes, then figure out which regions are close, query-by-proximity. But that's a nice-to-have.

Does any package spring to mind?

Thanks for all suggestions,
Stephen