[Baypiggies] Baypiggies meeting on Jan 24, 2013- presenter needed

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Wed Jan 9 17:02:04 CET 2013

I think of salt and fabric totally differently. It's only when writing this email that I realize that I describe both as a deployment tool.

Salt is like that replacement for chef and puppet (an automatic deployment tool where the machine pulls the data it needs to become a web server (for example) with your configuration without any human intervention).

I think if fabric like a way if pushing close manually (or pulling log files off of many machines at once).

So, salt for making new machines without human intervention. And fabric for managing those machines. We did use fabric for all of our production deployments in the past -- but that was in machines that were already built. We wanted a salt equivalent to build the virtual machine from scratch so we had a fresh machine (and thus tested any new dependencies). It also made rollback a cinch (plop the old machine back behind the load balancer). When we're certain we don't need to roll back, destroy the VMs.

Cheers,

Glen