[Baypiggies] Baypiggies Meeting Tonight @LInkedIn - Learning Math and Science Using Python

John Wegis jwegis at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 19:16:02 CET 2013

Hello Everyone,

Our presentation tonight will be "Learning Math and Science Using Python"
by Peter Farrell.

*Location:*

*LinkedIn Corporation2061 Stierlin Ct (aka Bldg 6)Room - Neon
CarrotMountain View, CA 94043*

*Abstract:*

In 1980 Seymour Papert’s *Mindstorms* suggested that everything meaningful
in math education could be done using a computer. Mathematics teaching has
yet to take full advantage of modern technology.

Python should be in the toolbox of every student right from the beginning
of algebra, not only because it makes arithmetic trivial but because it can
facilitate deeper exploration of topics ranging from algebra to calculus.

In this presentation we’ll see how Python can be used to clarify difficult
topics high school students are faced with in math and science.

Unlike outdated skills like factoring polynomials, working with functions
is more valuable than ever thanks to computers and Python in particular
because (forgive my oversimplification) in Python “everything is a
function.”

High school math and physics courses also demand a knowledge of vectors, so
more teachers should take advantage of the 3-D possibilities of Visual
Python to model situations using vectors. It will be shown how physical
situations otherwise involving disheartening differential equations can be
modeled and easily solved in VPython. Furthermore, conjectures which were
previously difficult to prove in physics can be easily created and visually
proven by high school students with a little Python.
*Speaker: *
Peter Farrell has been a high school math teacher and tutor on the East
Coast and the West Coast and even on the Equator. He’s currently a STEM
Instructor at four Summit Charter High Schools in the Bay Area through
Learningtech.org

*If you wish to post jobs here, please go to : Job Listings
<http://baypiggies.net/job-listings/job-listings>*

*Meeting Schedule*
The meeting begins @ 7:30PM.
The main presentation will start @ 7:40 PM, after the usual announcements.