[Baypiggies] HTML to printable file

Chris Clark Chris.Clark at actian.com
Fri Mar 30 21:33:37 CEST 2012

On Friday 2012-03-30 12:27 (-0700), Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:
> Tony Cappellini<cappy2112 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> While that will work for the current page, I should have mentioned I'm
>> looking for a program that should be
>> able to follow urls several levels (the level of urls will be determined by
>> the user).
> Sounds like you want to save a whole site, not just a Web page....
> To walk a site, you might try the Plucker tool.  It does a pretty good
> job, if you can still find it.

Yup this isn't a printing issue, its a scraping issue.
Plucker/plucker-desktop is around in debian and supports the depth
option you want. The GU is kinda old and clunky but works.

On the other hand wget does this too, but it is less user friendly ;-) I
would strongly encourage you to NOT write tools for this as it can get
complex. There are some wget GUI wrappers knocking around (I can't
recommend any though).

The printing piece is another (complex) problem, do you need to flatten
(links between) the pages or print them separately, and in what order? I
don't have a good answer to that, it is a navigation problem. But
pulling down the pages is the first piece.

Chris