[Baypiggies] Asynchronous web tasks

Rami Chowdhury rami.chowdhury at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 17:49:44 CET 2012

Hi Meenal,

On Feb 2, 2012, at 4:28 PM, Meenal Pant wrote:

> I use Django in production and now have a need to perform asynchronous backend tasks that
> a. Are some scheduled jobs
> b. Jobs triggered via a user input via Django frontend.

What sort of response is needed to the user -- is this just something the user triggers and then forgets about, or do you want to show the user some kind of "loading" view and then respond to them when the job is done?

> I have been thinking of using twisted or message queues (RabbitMQ and celery) to achieve this.  From my research so far:
>
> 1. Twisted allows both a and b though the learning curve with twisted is steeper
> 2. RabbitMQ and celery is easier to use, allows a but does it also allow b?
>
> I am looking for some opinions /recommendations to use one of  these two technologies or something else altogether ?
> Thanks
> Meenal

----
Rami Chowdhury
"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade - it makes the hand bleed that uses it." -- Rabindranath Tagore
+44-7581-430-517