[Baypiggies] padding variable assignments, why is it bad?

Wai Yip Tung tungwaiyip at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 11 01:50:44 CEST 2012

Here a few more examples in Python's standard library to show how
properly aligned can enhance readability.

http://hg.python.org/cpython/file/e7a67f1bf604/Lib/base64.py#l176
http://hg.python.org/cpython/file/e7a67f1bf604/Lib/inspect.py#l210

This is a pretty common format to align comments on the right hand side.
You will find lots of examples. It should be easy to conclude the
comments are more readable if aligned. In fact I'd say the code will be
unreadable if the comment are not aligned. Yet this format require the
same effort to keep neat and tidy and can introduce diff in source code
history some of you object to.

http://hg.python.org/cpython/file/e7a67f1bf604/Lib/imaplib.py#l44

It is very helpful to keep columns aligned when you define a large block
of data.

http://hg.python.org/cpython/file/e7a67f1bf604/Lib/pickle.py#l100

This is a direct violation of PEP-8. But this is so much nicer to scan
the code to do a reverse lookup.

http://hg.python.org/cpython/file/e7a67f1bf604/Lib/pstats.py#l158

Since PEP-8 does not cover dictionary literals, you tend to find lot
more examples of people aligning dictionary key names than assignment
statement. But the two are functionally very similar. Javascript can
even use one as an alternative style of the other. Obviously people find
value in this format to apply the extra effort to align them.

I guess I have make justification for this style and I encourage your
judgement rather than feeling compel by a style guide. And get a good
editor. It is not only helpful in writing code. Sometimes you find CSV
file and things become immediately clearer if only you can align the
columns.

Wai Yip