[Baypiggies] A talk on testing frameworks

Minesh B. Amin mamin at mbasciences.com
Sun Jan 16 22:55:09 CET 2011

Coming at this problem (of testing distributed/parallel software)
from the perspective of "parallel processing", we finally realized
that a host of issues (including the ones Lincoln mentioned)
can be much better described, prototyped, implemented, tested, and
studied by going back to basics in terms of how package management
is done.

Our solution had to have couple of attributes:
  + pkg management must be embedded within the Python interpreter
  + pkg dependencies must be very easy to describe, compute (if needed),
    enforce/freeze, and migrate from one snapshot to another
  + must be very easy to describe, and run/collect stats on multiple
    runtime environments in parallel (with each having a different
    set of pkg dependencies)
  + must be able to install at any time, potentially conflicting,
    versions of the same pkg under some "install directory" ...
    without the addition causing any problem

If interested, I can give a presentation on the what/why/how of
our solution.

Cheers!
Minesh