[Baypiggies] Suggested Reading: Machine learning and Python

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 09:52:43 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 11:55 PM, Venkatraman S <venkat83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 4:27 AM, wesley chun <wescpy at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> not to hijack the topic or do any upselling, but Google has a Prediction
>> API which leverages multiple ML algorithms and makes them available to the
>> public for use in general apps:
>> http://code.google.com/apis/predict/
>
> "We expect to begin charging for Google Prediction API usage early in 2011."
> From here.
> The worst part being "Free quota expires six months after activating Google
> Prediction for your project" :(

yeah, i know it's a bummer, but some of us have families and
oppressive mortgages. in my experience, when Google charges for a
service, it's really quite reasonable (or even *too* reasonable).
makes it hard to justify coworkers to help me do my job!!

look at App Engine, the fees are quite low, at least compared to other
competing PaaS services. most of our users don't pay anything! i'm
sure the fees for Prediction will be appropriate given the value that
it provides. then again, i may be somewhat biased. :-) perhaps someone
reading this thread knows of a competing service so that we can do
some sort of comparison?

cheers,
-- wesley
"Python Web Development with Django", Addison Wesley, (c) 2009
    http://withdjango.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com
http://cyberwebconsulting.com