[Baypiggies] Career Advice

Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder Web at StevePiercy.com
Wed Feb 16 03:55:48 CET 2011

The best time to interview for a new career is when you have a
job.  If you don't get hired, you still have a job to fall back on.

But why limit yourself to a job?  Why not go down the path of
entrepreneur and create your own career?  While working
full-time, I moonlighted and started building up a client base
as a freelance web application developer.  After doing that for
a dozen years and building up a sufficient savings cushion, I
launched my own business.  I set aside my fears of not having
medical benefits, a retirement account or steady income and just
went for it.

I reckoned the worst that could happen would be that I would
have to get another job when my savings ran out.  I'm now
approaching my third year in business for myself, and my only
regret is that I didn't do it sooner.  I have greater
flexibility with retirement savings and investment, health care
is affordable, and although my income fluctuates on a monthly
basis, it levels out on a semi-annual basis.  And I love what I
do for a living.

Anyway, if you go the job route, in addition to what has already
been stated:

* Teaching, training and generally showing that you like to help
people to help themselves will take you very far.

* Go through a couple product development cycles as a project
manager.  Show that you can lead and get things done.

* Carve out a niche.  What do you enjoy doing beside programming
and geeking out?  Write an application that supports your
interest and fills a niche.  Deploy it and release it.

Best of luck!

--steve

On 2/15/11 at 10:07 AM, bryceverdier at gmail.com (Bryce Verdier) pronounced: