[Baypiggies] Baypiggies- background info needed

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 20:19:29 CEST 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2011, Tony Cappellini wrote:
>>
>> When was the group first formed?
>> I remember going to the meetings at Stanford, I will assume those
>> meetings were pretty close to the beginning. That was in 2005-2006.
>
> Why would you assume that?  You know what they say about "assume"?
> BayPIGgies was already meeting when I first started with Python in 1999.

aahz is correct. the beginning came from deirdre who started it in
1999 as Aahz suggested:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/baypiggies/2005-December/000027.html

i don't know how many people know this because there are only a few of
us left from those days when we met at CoffeeNet off of Harrison in
SF!!! (yes, the first set of BayPIGgies meetings was up in the city.)
after all, it was the "BAY area Python Interest Group" hence where our
name came from. my first meeting was also in 1999.

here are details about the very *2nd* meeting at which Guido :-) spoke at:
http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/DNC4aFZPuydu8Bj98g1W

cheers,
-wesley

ps. thanks for the blast from the past!! wow, 12 years ago!!

"Python Web Development with Django", Addison Wesley, (c) 2009
    http://withdjango.com

wesley.chun : wescpy-gmail.com : @wescpy
http://cyberwebconsulting.com