[Baypiggies] Location - PyCon 2012

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Jun 22 20:11:42 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010, wesley chun wrote:

> [...]

It seems that I'm in the distinct minority, but I'm pretty strongly
opposed to Hyatt.  I have had several bad experiences with Hyatt at
multiple locations (including Santa Clara), to the point that I will not
attend any event at a Hyatt.

In addition, I believe that people have overestimated the dining capacity
of the Hyatt and have underestimated the time it will take to get to
external dinner options.  I believe that we will need to negotiate extra
food delivery from Hyatt and that will likely cost money that has not yet
been estimated.  It might work to have extended dinner hours.

(Several people have mentioned BayCon as a positive factor in selecting
Santa Clara, but science fiction conventions have different dining
patterns IME.)

I recognize that there are a number of advantages to Santa Clara; I'm
skipping over them in registering my opposition.  (I was the person who
originally suggested Santa Clara.)

Note that I am not particularly in favor of San Jose Convention Center;
had I realized that those were the only two options for PyCon, I would
have opposed bringing PyCon to the Bay Area.  There is some history of
poor management of this site selection process.

"If you don't know what your program is supposed to do, you'd better not
start writing it."  --Dijkstra