[Baypiggies] More dramatic material?

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Wed Feb 24 16:04:06 CET 2010

> The other important thing to remember about regular expressions is
> that
> even if you use verbose regexes split across multiple lines, regexes
> are
> functionally write-only for even the vast majority of experienced
> programmers.  (I.e. almost nobody can look at a complicated regex and
> understand what it does.)

I agree. Regex's have been my weakness forever because it just isn't
readable like python is readable. They just feel so unpythonic.

I'm always trying to fill in the fundamentals and I've been learning
to do fairly sophisticated regex's the past six months... However, my
fundamental question of 'why use it on Python' has been echoing in my
mind more and more with this conversation. Richard Pixley gave a few
reasons other than performance.

I'm hoping there will be die hard fans somewhere here to give
compelling reasons to learn it. I know we can find them in the Perl
camps -- that's logical considering that Perl grew out of a desire to
supplement awk. But, it's also a Python module.... So someone must be
a die-hard and can defend 'why do it in Python' and give examples.

Cheers,

Glen