[Baypiggies] Programming Puzzles (discussion forked from Salary Ranges)

Andrew Akira Toulouse andrew at atoulou.se
Wed Feb 17 23:06:14 CET 2010

Getting rid of puzzles at Facebook is a suggestion they are unlikely
to agree with, as it has worked well for them. I know firsthand that
the puzzles have helped the recruiters find several highly skilled
candidates who have become productive employees there. They are not
only looking for the best communicators, but excellent
problem-solvers. When I said their hiring practices haven't scaled, I
meant that there are more false negatives than false positives - that
is, they pass over good hires but very rarely make poor hiring
decisions, and have fired very few people for incompetence, which they
are not afraid to do. I know a lot of people at Facebook and the only
person I can think of who started to approach the lone ranger
stereotype was someone who was working on an extremely hard
optimization problem that required heavy engineering experience and
rare algorithmic talent.

 That said, I asked if you have any bug reports for the puzzlebot, as
I can pass them on. I'm not a representative of Facebook, and my
internship ended a few months ago. but I still have connections.

--Andy