[Baypiggies] hardware question

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Dec 24 17:22:09 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010, Vikram K wrote:

> Recently i got funding to buy a new laptop. The choice is between Apple
> (which i have never ever used),  or HP/Dell.
>
> Since most of my computational work will be using python i wanted to ask
> others on this forum about whether there would be any compatibility issues
> with using the various python libraries (matplotlib, scipy, numpy,
> Biopython, etc.) when using Python on the Mac.

There's one simple reason why I absolutely stick with Macs for laptops:
sleep Just Works.  Supposedly there's been progress in recent years, but
I still often see people booting up their laptops instead of just waking
them from sleep when it's not a Mac.  Get a Mac with 8GB RAM and you'll
have plenty of room for virtual machines for Ubuntu, Windows, or
whatever.

Overall, I'm happier when I'm using my Ubuntu desktop at home, mainly
because Macs are somewhat keyboard-unfriendly, although you can do an
awful lots with the Mac keyboard if you invest some time learning.
(Surprisingly, Windows and Ubuntu are mostly in a dead heat for keyboard
friendliness.)  If you are familiar with and like Gnome/KDE virtual
screens, you will hate the Mac implementation.

You should get a mouse with your Mac if you have sweaty fingers, the
capacitive trackpad sometimes goes wonky.

I've used 13", 15", and 17" laptops.  IMO 15" is the best compromise
between screen size and portability.  Get the anti-glare screen, the
glossy is one thing I dislike about my current Mac.

"Think of it as evolution in action."  --Tony Rand