[Baypiggies] OT: The Future Of Programming Languages

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 02:23:54 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:
> Ian Zimmerman <itz at buug.org> wrote:
>
>> Tony> Could we survive with say only 10 or 20 languages?
>>
>> 10, no.  20, maybe.  There are a few situations where more or less the
>> same programming style is served by multiple languages or dialects and
>> some of them should just die.  (Hello, PHP!  Hello, Common Lisp!)
>
> Oh, please!  (I just finished ripping a new copy of CLtL2 into GNU Info
> format. :-)  But, in that spirit, Hello Ruby!

Did you hear about the program that converts your Common Lisp code to
Ruby?  Unfortunately I couldn't get it to run because it was written
in a dialect of Perl 6 that itself was written in Haskell.

(/me giggles)

-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa