[Baypiggies] scientific notation: string to int

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Thu Dec 9 08:02:58 CET 2010

On Dec 9, 2010, at 2:25 AM, Keith Dart wrote:
> So, now we know any version after 2.4 can convert a scientific notation
> strings simply, but not before or equal to 0.9.1. Dang, I don't have 1.5
> around any more to narrow it down further. ;-)

In most of the 1.5 series you needed to do string.atof.

Here's one example:
  http://effbot.org/librarybook/string.htm

I haven't pinned it down to a specific release yet, but
in that link /F says it was 1.6.

> Now I'm curious, what's the earliest version of Python anyone has in
> "production", or personal use?

I think I started with 1.3, perhaps 1.2? That was
to learn Python. I first convinced my employer to use
it in in 1998 so that was 1.5.

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com