[Baypiggies] Python course at UC Berkeley

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Thu Aug 26 21:58:26 CEST 2010

This email was sent to me at UC Berkeley and I thought I'd pass it along to
any BayPIGgies who may be interested...

Subject: New CSE course in "Python for Scientific Computing"

I wanted to call your attention to a new Computational Science and
Engineering (CSE;http://cse.berkeley.edu/) seminar class called "Python for
Scientific Computing," being organized by Josh Bloom, a professor in the
astronomy department. The course (AY250; CCN 06180) may be taken for credit
by undergraduates or graduate students and may be audited by anyone
contacting the professor directly (jbloom at astro.berkeley.edu).  The course
meets Mondays 2-5pm at Hearst 310. The first meeting (this Monday) is
optional. The course starts in earnest the Monday after Labor Day.

Here is a short description of the course:

This seminar-based course, based on the Python (python.org) language,
provides a detailed overview of the techniques and core packages used in
modern scientific research computing. It is intended for upper-division
undergraduates and first/second year graduate students in the physical
science disciplines.
The Python language, and associated packages, provides a powerful
open-source framework suitable for many, if not most, research needs in
data-intensive disciplines. It is an object-oriented scripting language that
is draws the best elements from many often-used languages in science
research (Perl, Interactive Data Language [IDL], C++, Java, Matlab, Fortran,
Ruby, ..), is easily connected to legacy C and Fortran codes, makes use of
architecture-tuned vector and matrix manipulation packages, has mature
plotting and statistical/physical packages, and can be straightforwardly
parallelized on multicore and distributed hardware infrastructures.

Cheers,

Glen
--
Whatever you can do or imagine, begin it;
boldness has beauty, magic, and power in it.

-- Goethe