[Baypiggies] string to list question

Andrew Toulouse andrew at atoulou.se
Thu Aug 5 06:52:50 CEST 2010

Looks like you're trying to turn it into a bunch of tokens. I'm assuming you have an arbitrarily long string.

You could loop through each character in the input, append it to the stack, determine whether the stack is  a valid token, and output it (and reset the stack if so). In pseudocode:

def tokenizer(z):
  def isValid(characterList):
    return true if characterList is ['A'], ['T','/','G'], or ['C'] #this is pseudocode

  stack = []
  for character in z:
    stack.append(character)
    if (isValid(stack)):
      yield ''.join(stack)

print(list(tokenizer("AT/CG")))

Disclaimer: This is absolutely not super-optimal and is untested (and my Python is rusty, I've been doing almost all Java and Objective-C lately) but it should get the job done if you just need something quick, I think.