[Baypiggies] moving from app engine -> AWS/other, shopping for parts...

Jeff Enderwick jeff.enderwick at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 03:40:38 CEST 2009

I am moving a pre-production application off of app engine and into a
more 'traditional' virtual hosting environment, most likely Amazon.

The app is currently python+django: Django has been fine, but I find
all I'm really using it for is the templates. On the DB side, I can
shard/make something work with RDBMS. I really like the GAE DB
simplicity, parallelism, and 'schema-less' model. I'm not using entity
groups anymore, and my transaction requirements are light.

What is the most popular, robust, reasonably-efficient library for
mating Python to popular RDBMS? Anything that will be an easy port
from the GAE apis?

Has anyone had production experience with any of those newer DB solns
out there, like mongo, voldemort, simpledb, etc?

TIA,
Jeff