[Baypiggies] Chompapps Position - from Issue 31

K. Richard Pixley rich at noir.com
Thu Oct 29 16:04:00 CET 2009

resmith at runbox.com wrote:
> Virtually everyone would agree that an 80 year old person would  underperform a 22 year old college graduate in a programming assignment.

I wouldn't agree.

I think training, education, and recent experience all play a more
significant role than simple age.  I've certainly known 60yo dinosaurs
who were still programming big iron in assembler, did it well, but
weren't really interested in moving forward with technology.  But I've
also known 60yo folks who had plenty of experience with leading edge
development and were still producing leading edge innovations.

I'd also argue that very little programming happens in a vacuum and that
80 year olds, as a general rule, have more life experience and therefor
typically more basic life skills.

--rih