[Baypiggies] New to python - neuron ring - help needed

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Oct 12 14:41:31 CEST 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009, Gopinath R wrote:

> I am a newbie to python. i like to learn python strongly. which version is
> recommended to start with 2.6 or 3.0.

That depends largely on what you want to do.  If you need to use external
libraries, many have not yet been ported to 3.1 -- so overall, I
recommend 2.6 for production use.  (Note that I'm carefully referring to
3.1 because you do NOT want to use 3.0.)

But in the end, it really doesn't matter which you *learn* -- the
difference between 1.5.2 and 2.6 is in the end larger than the difference
between 2.6 and 3.1, and 1.5.2 probably still has a larger userbase than
3.1.  It's easier to write a Python application that runs on both 1.5.2
and 2.6 (largely by sticking with 1.5.2 idioms), but that's a distinction
that makes little difference IMO.  The overall overlap between 2.6 and
3.1 makes learning both 2.6 and 3.1 easier.

Python has strong forward and backward compatibility, and the basics of
what you're learning for the first month or two apply almost equally to
2.6 and 3.1.

"To me vi is Zen.  To use vi is to practice zen.  Every command is a
koan.  Profound to the user, unintelligible to the uninitiated.  You
discover truth everytime you use it."  --reddy at lion.austin.ibm.com