[Baypiggies] Software Engineer/Web Developer

James Williams jwilliams at pictopia.com
Thu Oct 8 01:54:46 CEST 2009

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for a while, but my company is looking to hire a
developer. We have a legacy web application that is a combination of
Perl/XSLT, but we are slowly converting it over to Django, so both
Python and Perl knowledge are essential.

-James

============================

Position: Software Engineer

further evolving Pictopia’s software-directed systems, primarily on
the back-end. As for our photo fulfillment systems, the operations
include production, image gallery, and transaction processing; at the
corporate level, these include internet hosting and monitoring, system
administration, search indexing, and database management, among others.

Responsibilities:
• Bug fixes
• Minor application enhancements
• Major application additions/changes
• Develop tools to better support Account Executives, Customer
Service, and other developers
• Create tools to monitor system and application processes
• Assist with Linux, Apache, and MySQL administration and
troubleshooting

Required Skills:
• Object Oriented Perl
• Object Oriented Python, optimally with Django 1.x
• MySQL
• 2 years minimum real world experience engineering web solutions for
LAMP stacks
• Practical experience developing in a *nix environment
• Experience with Apache configuration, Linux system administration,
and database administration (preferably MySQL)
• Working knowledge of HTML
• Strong verbal, written, analytical and communication skills

Additional skills:
• XSLT, XML, Javascript, PHP
• Strong relational DB knowledge (table optimization, query
optimization)
• Enthusiasm for architecting and implementing solid, scalable,
extensible solutions

This is a high-visibility position within a very small team, and the
ideal candidate will be a dedicated, hands on professional who can
take ownership of tasks with minimal oversight. We value positive
attitudes and professionals who can successfully navigate through
ambiguous and challenging situations. Candidates are required to be on-
site in our Emeryville offices, as there is a high degree of
interaction between all parts of the business.

We offer an exciting and unique opportunity for the ambitious
developer who wants to play a large part in one of the net’s next e-
commerce sensations!

Compensation is comprised of both salary and equity incentives.

About the Company:
Pictopia.com, located in Emeryville, California, provides highest
quality photo prints to consumers via purchases made at its own web
site and at the sites of its partners. Over 800 of the world’s top
media organizations including National Geographic, The US National
Archives, The Washington Post, AOL and Yahoo, The Associated Press and
AFP, The NBA and MLB, have partnered with Pictopia to monetize their
vast image holdings via sales to the public. By taking the partners'
image archives and feeds direct to the public, Pictopia creates brand-
promotion opportunities and revenue streams that have not previously
existed. As an example of how we work today, if you are browsing the
Washington Post web-site and see a picture you want to own for
yourself, when you click to “buy” the picture, it takes you to our web-
site and we handle all the transaction order and fulfillment.

We are a privately funded entrepreneurial venture which has recently
made a strategic and management restructuring. At this new stage of
our growth, we are very excited to be advancing to the next level in
our company’s development!

Culture: At Pictopia we have a relaxed, intimate and informal
environment. As a growing dot com we work hard but like to have fun
doing it. Every team member is a valuable contributor to achieving the
company’s objectives. Our flat corporate hierarchy supports team
players, not strong egos.

Benefits: Pictopia provides many big-company benefits in a small
company setting including:

• Medical, Dental, Vision and prescription coverage
• Health care Flexible Spending Account
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• Basic Life and Personal Accident Insurance
• 401K and 529 College Savings Plans
• Professional training and development