[Baypiggies] Bioinformatics Python Programmer

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Wed Oct 7 03:42:30 CEST 2009

On Oct 7, 2009, at 2:31 AM, Paul McNett wrote:
> So as I get older and more financially secure, I can see myself
> getting more likely to pursue a job as a programmer in some
> interesting scientific project. I think it would add some level of
> personal satisfaction to my life, knowing that I'm contributing to
> the greater good.

Then let me contribute a high note. There are a few interesting match-
ups I've seen from a non-scientist who got into this field:

   - someone with an MIS background working for a mouse research lab.
They needed to develop a tracking and ordering system for the mice,
because they supply specially bred mice to other labs.

   - someone with a image processing and ray tracing background is
now doing the job I once had; developing and maintaining a molecular
graphics visualization program. He knows about 100x more about the
graphics than I did, and it shows. I focused more on the
programmability. ;)

   - someone from the games industry entered bioinformatics and his
optimization of the program for whole genome assembly was the primary
reason the public Human Genome Project ended up tying with the
private one.

   - one group I visited had an design artist visit, to help come up
with different ways to visualize their data.

In one of the companies I worked with, and several of my client
companies, they've hired people who are not physical scientists as
software people. Often these are support programmers, where the
scientist knows what they want to do but not how to do it.

So there are many possibilities!

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com