[Baypiggies] using virtualenv

Benjamin Sergeant bsergean at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 07:38:01 CEST 2009

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Simeon Franklin <simeonf at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:48 AM,  <baypiggies-request at python.org> wrote:
> > From: Benjamin Sergeant <bsergean at gmail.com>
> > $ svn co /path/to/my/project
> > $ cd my/project
> > $ virtualenv pyenv
> > New python executable in pyenv/bin/python
> > Installing setuptools............done.
> > $ pip install -E pyenv ply
> > Downloading/unpacking ply
> >  Downloading ply-3.2.tar.gz (139Kb): 139Kb downloaded
> >  Running setup.py egg_info for package ply
> > Installing collected packages: ply
> >  Running setup.py install for ply
> > Successfully installed ply
> > $ export PATH=pyenv/bin:$PATH
>
> I'm glad you're trying out pip!

Me too. From my 20 seconds playing with it experience 2 things nice with pip
are the download progress report, plus the -E virtualenv switch.

> Any particular reason not to use the
> built-in "activate" command?

It was just that I'm not a big fan of the ugly prompt activate adds. But it
might be doing more than setting up the PATH, and I think I can get over the
few chars activate add to the prompt.

Cheers,
- Benjamin