[Baypiggies] geospatial software architect job opening involves python and django

Benjamin Sergeant bsergean at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 18:30:41 CET 2009

post baypiggies morning are always great for toying around. I'm writting a
.sln (Microsoft visual studio solution file) parser using python-ply, and
wanted to work on it on my Mac that doesn't have python-ply installed.

So I thought I'd give pip and virtualenv a try to local install ply with
ease and not polute my global site-packages folder. And that was easy
indeed.

- Benjamin

$ sudo easy_install pip # virtualenv was already installed, think you
install it the same way
$ svn co /path/to/my/project
$ cd my/project
$ virtualenv pyenv
New python executable in pyenv/bin/python
Installing setuptools............done.
$ pip install -E pyenv ply
Downloading/unpacking ply
  Downloading ply-3.2.tar.gz (139Kb): 139Kb downloaded
  Running setup.py egg_info for package ply
Installing collected packages: ply
  Running setup.py install for ply
Successfully installed ply
$ export PATH=pyenv/bin:$PATH
$ python
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54869, Apr 18 2007, 22:08:04)