[Baypiggies] ReactOS: A true-to-life OpenSource version of Windows (not Linux)

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Thu Mar 19 06:35:00 CET 2009

I have just heard about ReactOS. It's a true to life Open Source
version of Windows (not a Windows emulator). I just installed it and
it's surprisingly good for an Alpha version:

http://www.reactos.org/

I loved the very small download and very quick install. Then, to
download packages (like FIrefox, etc.), I started the Download
application -- That's a very seamless and very quick install!

I see Development section of packages to download only has FreeBasic
as a language. I was curious if anyone we know is already working on a
Python port to ReactOS?

I tried to install the standard Windows version of Python, but the
*msi file wouldn't execute (obviously ReactOS issue). I tried to
download gcc so I could try to build Python. But, the self-extracting
executable caused a memory exception. Here's where the Alpha side of
the product started showing itself. I don't think it'll be long,
however, before it will be easy to port Python to the platform.

I know several people who would be very excited for the flexibility of
a very well adopted OS that also has the freedom of truly OpenSource.

Cheers,

Glen
--
415-680-3964
glen at glenjarvis.com

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -M. Gandhi