[Baypiggies] Perot at NASA - Sr. Python Developer

Alex Martelli aleax at google.com
Tue Jun 30 08:44:44 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 11:29 PM, wesley chun<wescpy at gmail.com> wrote:
> of course, it is a tough market and economy, and these days, it's good
> to have a paycheck....

Sure, BUT -- does the hiring manage crave a candidate who's applying
because "it's good to have a paycheck", or would they maybe rather get
a great candidate who cares up to a point about that paycheck thing
(maybe because they HAVE cashed out at a great point in time on those
"stock options" things you mention) but cares MUCH MORE about being a
mutually perfect fit for the job's "MUST-have"s?

Anna's made a great point about women and men reacting differently on
this point, but I must point out I'm in the "women's" section on this
one (hope Prop 8 doesn't nullify our 5-years marriage?-) -- I want
only employers who are RARIN' to get me, NOT "making do" with me, and
in 30 years' of career I've never lacked for plenty of would-be
employers fiercely headhunting me to give me that option.

What kind of employer would PREFER people hungry to get a paycheck, to
ones enthusiastic about the ACTUAL job, AND being actively head-hunted
by recruiters for many other jobs...?

I'm not sure, but whatever kind of employer THAT is, they're very well
advised to add to their "MUST" conditions a few random ones -- fluent
Latvian, deep familiarity with the works of Cecco Angiolieri,
experience in social networking at the API level, and fluency in
Prolog, all sound good to me. (I happen to meet 50% of those random
4;-).

Alex