[Baypiggies] Finding work - Company: Keas (S.F.)

Dylan Reinhardt python at dylanreinhardt.com
Mon Jun 8 16:38:30 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 6:56 AM, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:

> You're making statements about my evidence without knowing what my
> evidence is?  Why do you think that my evidence comes from BayPIGgies
> meeting demographics?

I think you may have mis-understood the sense in which I said "your
evidence".  I meant to indicate that there was additional evidence available
to observe, not that I know anything about your particular research
methodology.

Point being, your contention that Python skews older conflicts with my
experience, so I thought I should share what I've seen.  For example, I
attend meetings in Portland now and then.  Up there, you might see 20 people
show up to a meeting and only a couple of us will be obviously over 30.  7-8
years ago, however, Portland meetings *did* skew older.  I don't know why
this demographic clustering happens, but it does happen.

There are a significant number of us who are using Python and actively
promoting Python who haven't really been a part of the "community" per se.
I don't know what evidence you're using to come to your conclusion that
Python skews old... but since you and I have never met, I know you're
missing at least one data point.  And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

FWIW,

Dylan