[Baypiggies] courses for beginners....

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 06:00:01 CEST 2009

I don't think SICP, "Learning Python", etc. are appropriate.  "Python
for Dummies" might be.  I've helped a few people get started
programming over the years.  Recently, I've been hearing good things
from newbies about "Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer
Science": http://www.amazon.com/Python-Programming-Introduction-Computer-Science/dp/1887902996

I think all it takes to learn to program is a) dedication b) a good
book c) someone to answer questions d) (optionally) a computer ;)  I'm
almost always willing to answer questions if they're sent politely via
email ;)

Best Regards,
-jj

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Antonio <aps at supergrids.net> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>

> Thanks for the responses and good ideas.
>

> I'm afraid I should have been clearer... she is a native English speaker,
>
> but lives in France.  She is only here for one year [info given to show
>
> time limitations for courses in the Bay area, before going home...].
>
> Also, she a beginner at programming and while many books recommended
>
> are quite good, seems likely she will need a course to get started.
>

> At the risk of starting arguments [Let's NOT...] would probably be good
>
> to get her started in courses with Py 3.x being covered, since she'll
>
> have no prior programming work to support, etc.

In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa
http://jjinux.blogspot.com/