[Baypiggies] a useful summary of programming paradigms

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 20:42:53 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Alex Martelli<aleax at google.com> wrote:
> To anybody interested in the subject (including JJ, who's studying it
> in depth in Van Roy's great book), I recommend the useful summary at
> http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/~pvr/VanRoyChapter.pdf

Well done. I'll have to look into this more deeply. In particular, how
much of this is supported in Python?

Of course, it does not cover all of the paradigms (FORTH, at one
extreme), and in some places it glosses over major issues. Notably, it
lumps strings, lists, arrays, and trees under records. Nobody could
confuse SNOBOL, LISP/SCHEME, flat-array APL, and J with each other.

I would be interested to see how well Parrot supports these various
paradigms, and will go ask.

> -- not as deep as the
> book of course, but an excellent and very readable survey.
>

> Alex

And Children are my nation.