[Baypiggies] I am trying to compile python 2.6.2 on my Mac

Jessica Smith jessica.1980.smith at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 10:23:48 CEST 2009

Hello,
I am trying to compile Python 2.6.2 on my Mac which has os/x 10.5.7

I downloaded python 2.6.2 from here:
  - http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.2/Python-2.6.2.tar.bz2

I unpacked it.

I ran these shell commands:
  - ./configure --prefix=/pt/p
  - make

Near the end of the make output I see this message:

. Failed to find the necessary bits to build these modules:
. _bsddb             gdbm               linuxaudiodev
. ossaudiodev        readline           spwd
. sunaudiodev
. To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for
the module's name.

I looked in setup.py in detect_modules()

It is not clear to me how to proceed.

I think that I want the module: "readline"

I doubt I need the other modules like linuxaudiodev, etc.

If you have any clues or opinions on how I can build the module "readline",
please feel free to share.

Thanks,
JRS