[Baypiggies] OSCON: projection equipment

Alex Martelli aleax at google.com
Sun Jul 19 02:18:45 CEST 2009

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Sandrine
Ribeau<sandrine.ribeau at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> According to Vee McMillen (one of the conference operations managers), there
> will not be Audio/Video equipment unless we order it from Good Company
> Communicationsas indicated on their website
> (http://en.oreilly.com/oscon2009/public/cfp/68).
> It is very expensive...

Expensive indeed -- they want 450 or 675 PER DAY for a projector, when
cheap projectors can be BOUGHT OUTRIGHT
(http://www.projectorpeople.com/projectors/projectors-under-600.asp)
for 350-400 (VGA, small and portable) or 500 (800x600 or better, high
luminance).

Unfortunately this is very short notice to try to sync up with other
grassroot local groups and try to split the costs and ownership of
such a purchase, then collecting the funds &c, but we should
immediately start asking local friends and acquaintances (esp. ones
who are freelance and do presentations, or organize a grassroot local
group on whatever subject) to see if there's any chance for us to
borrow a projector -- VGA would do and we may not need high luminance
(as long as the room of the BOF / presentation lets us dim lights
down, and I'd imagine it would).

Alex