[Baypiggies] current topic schedule for February, March, and April

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 10:30:50 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 12:59 AM, Stephen McInerney
<spmcinerney at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> From: cappy2112 at gmail.com
>> To: jjinux at gmail.com

>> > It'd be great to have a talk on wxPython if we could actually find
>> > someone who *likes* wxPython. Otherwise, it'd be cool to find someone
>> > using one of the higher level libraries on top of wxPython that has
>> > had good experiences.
>>
>> What????
>> read the wx list- more traffic than 101 at rush hour
>> I've been using wx since I dropped pyQt- I have no regrets.
>> I can do a talk- I think it's too much to be a nugget though.
>
> Yeah, wx is the best platform-independent GUI in my modest experience:
> (disagree freely if you will)
>
> All the scientific people (Enthought Python distribution, Python(x,y)
> distribution)
> bundle it:
> http://www.enthought.com/products/epdlibraries.php  (wx + Qt)
> http://www.pythonxy.com/standard.php (wx only)
>
> [If your intent was to start a (civilized) throwdown between wxPython and
> PyQt, by all means bring it on.]
>
>>I've met tons of people who use wxPython. I've just never met anyone
>>who liked it ;) If you like wxPython, I'd love to hear your talk.
>
> Well what is 'like'? It gets the job done and there's no better tool.
> It's better than the cruft that is Tkinter. It's reasonably portable across
> the three main platforms.
> Which applications were you referencing as being painful?
>
> If you want to build a decent event-driven GUI, use Enthought's Chaco +
> Traits
> on top of wx, they are awesome. Which reminds me, if Enthought's Travis
> Oliphant,
> Eric Jones or Peter Wang ever wanted to present in more depth on those,
> they would be great. Peter Wang gave a superb talk on Chaco + Traits at
> SciPy 08,
> the video of which which was unfortunately not put online:
> https://svn.enthought.com/svn/enthought/Chaco/trunk/docs/scipy08_tutorial.pdf
> (I was gently bugging Travis O about this recently, it really was a superb
> talk)

I think you just proved my point ;)  I don't know how many people I've
met whose attitude is "Yeah, we use wxPython.  There's nothing else
quite like it.  It's caused us a ton of pain.  Fortunately, we
discovered some [insert higher-level interface on top of wxPython],
and it made things a bit better."

As for QT, I haven't tried pyQT, but I can say that coding in QT with
C++ made C++ suck less that it's ever sucked before!  I wrote an
entire KDE application without using the words new, delete, malloc, or
free.  I managed to get QT to handle all the memory management
automatically.

-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa