[Baypiggies] How do you calculate your hourly wage?

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Tue Feb 10 02:17:25 CET 2009

Like every posting I've seen on this subject, Monte gives great advice.

This is the type of thing you will get lots of help on at the SBA (and
the retired consultants SCORE). If you live in San Francisco, for
example, a member of the city will come and give you a pamphlet,
explaining how to determine what licenses you need, etc. Also, the big
rule of thumb is "ignorance isn't an excuse" if you accidentally break
some rules/tax laws without knowing about them, you're still liable.
And, liability and legal tax structures (Corporations, LLCs, etc.
etc.) are discussed.

There are many different classes -- almost one for each sentence
below. And, you can attend this BEFORE you decide to contract - so
there's no risk in doing so. There are many other things you can learn
to (like how/why to give out a W9, EIN numbers, Quickbooks courses,
Bookkeeeping 1, 2 and 3, Market Research, etc.)

I don't want to forward the large list of classes here because it
seems extreme for this list. But, I've been forwarding this week's
class list and more contact details to those who have asked.

You may find you don't want to contract; or, that you don't have the
resources to contract now and you need to make a longer plan for it.

Cheers,

Glen

P.S. I'm this zealous about BayPIGgies to outsiders too ;)