[Baypiggies] Online Dictionary/Thesaurus

Nathan Ramella nar at hush.com
Wed Feb 4 22:52:44 CET 2009

The language you use shouldn't really matter, the juice of any
dictionary app is going to be the backend database. Since you have a
small amount of data to contend with (OED2 is roughly about 600 megs
compressed) it's basically down to the type of searches you want to
do. I did something similar (and am still working on some dictionary
stuff..), but my first iteration was a PDF search engine for ~300gb of
PDF content.

You'd probably do very well with the following configuration:

1) Lucene backend for the search engine, it can very easily handle the
amount of data necessary and can be fine tuned. While Lucene is
written in Java, I can't argue with the fact that it works great and
has a thriving developer community and there's nothing close to it in
the Python world. You could just go with a MySQL/Oracle/etc backend,
but what you end up having to redevelop is the trie-search algorithm
stuff.

2) Some sort of web-service overlay that speaks DICT http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DICT
. I used mod_python + PyLucene for accessing data. Speaking DICT isn't
necessary, but it does eliminate the need to reproduce existing work.

3) Some sort of display layer, could be anything. Good candidates are
Django or some AJAXy thing. I went with FLEX Builder just because it
makes sexy GUI work ridiculously easy. PyAMF speaks to FLEX nicely.

You could do it all in Python or Java or Perl.. But it's what you feel
comfortable using that really matters.

-n