[Baypiggies] native GUI vs. web browser

Dennis Reinhardt DennisR at dair.com
Wed Dec 16 22:50:10 CET 2009

At 10:29 AM 12/16/2009, K. Richard Pixley wrote:
>... someone wrote about windows api being "portable" across
>operating systems, where what they probably meant was "portable
>across microsoft operating systems".

Huh?  Several of us discussed portability.  If you meant me and want
authority on what was meant, ASK, don't start attributing meanings
and perspectives to unnamed "someone" based on quoting a single word.

>Most aren't written to be portable as that's not part of the design
>goal.  Rather, the design goal is rapid development for a microsoft
>based market.

I can't speak for the world, but portability for me *is* part of the
design goal.  Rapid development for a microsoft based market is a
commercial tactic.  If the app flops in that market, stop.  If the
app is a success, extend to mac and, perhaps, linux.

No, some apps I make are not ported at day 0 and some have been.  But
one of the reasons for using Python is to lay the groundwork for
later porting, if commercially viable.