[Baypiggies] [JOB] Storage Architect, Belmont, CA | 150-170k

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 09:43:40 CEST 2009

Beau,

First of all, I agree--let's see postings that have more to do with
Python, Beau ;)

Secondly, who here still wants to see postings from recruiters?  I
know Glen, Aahz, and me all recently got jobs, but I'm assuming not
everyone else has.  Quick vote: +1 to continue with the lax rules, -1
to crack down.

Best Regards,
-jj

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 12:22 AM, Glen Jarvis<glen at glenjarvis.com> wrote:
> I know that we have relaxed our rules for some time because quite a few of
> us needed work. However, this has already become abusive. For example, this
> particular job posting only mentions "Perl and Shell Scripting, other
> languages (Java, Python), etc. welcome." Python is clearly not a high
> priority for this position.
>
> I make the motion to reinstate our previously effective policies with regard
> to recruiter restrictions posting to this list.
>

> Glen
>

> On Aug 7, 2009, at 11:44 PM, Beau Gould (OSS) wrote:
>
>> Storage Architect, Belmont, CA | 150-170k
>>
>> Employees who work for our client are passionate and possess the deeply
>> held belief that a team working for a cause will reach and benefit
>> millions of people. They are looking for those rare individuals who
>> share their passion about building a great company while delighting
>> customers, partners and fellow employees.
>>
>> They offer many perks and benefits beyond salary such as shares in the
>> company, 401K, 12 Company Paid Holidays as well as 15 PTO days per year
>> - and your birthday is a paid day off! Free drinks and cheap snacks are
>> always available. They have the excitement of the dotcom era and the
>> stability of an established, profitable company. They provide Medical,
>> Dental, and Vision as well as Life Insurance, Short & Long Term
>> Disability, and an Employee Assistance Program.
>>
>> This position is part of the Storage Team, responsible for supporting a
>> multi-petabyte service. You will investigate new technology (server,
>> storage, software), contribute to the design and building of next
>> generation infrastructure, deploy capacity to the site, perform critical
>> upgrades, manage data flow and IO redistribution processes and are
>> responsible for the 99.99% uptime of the service. In addition you are a
>> competent Perl developer, building automation tools and utilities to
>> manage the archive. You will help design and maintain custom MySQL
>> databases and applications required to support the archive.
>>
>> Requirements:
>>
>> * Experience with distributed file systems, storage arrays, replication
>> and virtualization technologies, volume and file system management
>> products and backup solutions
>> * System, storage and application/service design and implementation
>> experience
>> * Understanding of current industry trends including backup-to-disk,
>> continuous backup, archiving, de-dup, virtualization and automated
>> migrations
>> * Demonstrated competency integrating open-source and commercial
>> software products
>> * Expert knowledge for Linux/Solaris based file-systems, particularly
>> clustered, global and shared file systems
>> * In depth knowledge of disk-based storage hardware including storage
>> controllers, SAN and raid disk configurations
>> * File system, network and server performance tuning
> [...]

In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa
http://jjinux.blogspot.com/