[Baypiggies] The (lack of) design patterns in Python

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Tue Aug 4 18:06:48 CEST 2009

Shannon -jj Behrens <jjinux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 7:42 PM, Tony Cappellini<cappy2112 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We have openings for November and December..
> >
> > Would anyone here be interested in hearing Joe Gregorio's presentation
> > on "The (lack of) design patterns in Python" ?
> > I think it would be good for the group to hear, since many didn't get
> > to go to Oscon.
> >
> > If yes, are any of the Google employees in touch with him and would
> > you be willing to ask him?
>
> +1
>
> However, I must admit, it'll probably drive me crazy.  I read the gang
> of four cover-to-cover.  I think design patterns are language
> specific.

Sounds like you and Joe are in complete agreement.  His whole point is
that the design patterns so necessary in Java are mostly unused in
Python, because Python has lots of powerful built-in capabilities that
Java lacks.  If it's a language feature, you just use it; if it isn't,
you need a design pattern to imitate it.

Bill