[Baypiggies] Stackless anyone?

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 04:32:34 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Alec Flett <alecf at flett.org> wrote:
> I though the stacklesssocket stuff that Richard Tew was working on was
> pretty interesting - did you play with that?
> I've heard people complain before about the open-source stackless, but it
> seems like such a slick solution to lots of problems that Twisted solves
> well, but not always elegantly.. I'm curious what real problems people have
> run into using Stackless for what it was intended for (basically cooperative
> 'multithreading')
> I've always been interested in doing a Pylons implementation on top of
> stackless where it uses stackless for threads (i.e. tasks) instead of real
> threads - you'd get all the performance benefits of Twisted, without the
> overhead of learning to use Deferreds.
> (Not to knock deferreds, they're an amazingly elegant solution to
> asynchronousity!)
> Alec

Back when I worked at IronPort, we had a proprietary implementation of
Stackless that I liked.  Christian Tismer worked there too at one
point.  Slide has one that is similar.  Our version of Stackless
worked with my open source Web application framework, Aquarium, and I
liked it a lot.  (By the way, I use Pylons these days because it
reminds me a lot of Aquarium, but with a larger community.)

Has anyone tried out out Eventlet?  It was written by Donnovan Preston
who worked at Slide and also wrote Nevow (the popular Web framework
for Twisted).

I've heard Concurrence is another similar framework.

I hope you won't mind if I link to my article on Python concurrency
(based on a talk that Alec and Libor from Slide helped me with):
http://www.ddj.com/linux-open-source/206103078

Best Regards,
-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa