[Baypiggies] Brainstorming new talk ideas...

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 02:27:29 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 9:11 PM, Glen Jarvis <glen at glenjarvis.com> wrote:
> I don't know the official schedule, but I imagine that our next BayPIGgies
> meeting will be sharing "What I learned from PyCon."
> However, for the May meeting, I'd like to pitch an idea. I'd like to see a
> Django themed evening. I'm a big fan of Pylons and other frameworks -- in
> fact, I want to learn more about them -- especially for larger scaled
> systems. But, my bread and butter these days is Django and I am going deeper
> and deeper into it. I also saw that Simeon and quite a few others do Django
> work.
> I could do an introductory talk (or handle a topic of interest), but I'd
> like to see others do a more advanced subject. For example, Simeon mentioned
> a profiling tool for Django (which I'd not used before and would like to
> learn more about).
> What do you think about a 'Django themed' evening? What topics are people
> most interested in? Who else would be willing to speak?

I'd love to see a PyCon summary meeting, of course.

I'd also be happy to see a Django talk, although I'd like to see a
power users talk.  It seems to me that Django is really easy to get up
and running with, but it's easy to run into brick walls.  I'd love to
see a talk from someone who has tips and tricks for breaking through
brick walls without excessive use of monkey patching.  I'd also love
to see someone tell me the practical difficulties of using a different
templating engine.  I know it's possible, but I want to hear from
someone who's done it in production and can talk about the drawbacks
he encountered.

Simeon, if you want to help with such a meeting, don't feel like
you're hogging the mic.  Your last meeting was great :)

-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa