[Baypiggies] Job opening: Architect/Developer for Collaborative Editor in East Bay

Rocky Kahn rocky at teampatent.com
Tue May 27 05:01:16 CEST 2008

Architect / Developer - Python, *SQL, EC2 (Collaborative Editor)

TeamPatent <http://teampatent.com/> is building a browser-based,
collaborative editor for technical documents (think Google Documents on
steroids...much more responsive, fine-grained collaboration model).  We've
built a prototype and it's now time to refactor with an eye for
scalability.

We need a architect / engineer who will be responsible for all aspects of
backend development. Strong candidates will have previously led
architectural design and implementation of a data-driven, mass-audience web
application, preferably at a smaller company where you had to wear many
hats. Our backend technology stack includes Python and PostgreSQL and we're
deployed on Linux-based Amazon EC2 instances.  You must be proficient in
these technologies or have experience in related technologies, enabling you
to quickly ramp up.

As a member of TeamPatent, you'll help contribute to open source--we already
maintain two of the largest widgets in
Dojo--dijit.Editor<http://dojotoolkit.org/book/dojo-book-0-9/part-2-dijit/advanced-editing-and-display/editor-rich-text>&
dojox.Sketch<http://dojotoolkit.org/2008/02/19/introducing-dojox-sketch-drawing-app-designed-collaboration>--and,
under your direction, we hope to contribute facets of our backend
infrastructure including extensions to
Scalr<http://code.google.com/p/scalr/>and
Selenium <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selenium_%28software%29>.  There's
currently just two of us so you'll have plenty of responsibility/autonomy to
be an individual contributor.  We're fully-funded with a two-year runway and
the National Science Foundation describes our innovations as
"game-changing".  TeamPatent holds the potential to be a career-making
project with enormous market potential and intellectual scope.

Requirements:

   - Architect / Lead Developer role for a "shipped" data-driven web product
   demonstrating high degree of complexity;
   - Demonstrated expert at back-end implementation;
   - Produce elegant, maintainable code; and
   - Experience with PostgreSQL, MySQL, or other databases in both access
   methodology and database design.

Desirable:

   - Open-source contributions;
   - Experience planning network operations; and
   - Ability to lead and motivate small technical teams.

Environment and Compensation:

   - Full-time role preferred;
   - This opportunity is ground floor with competitive compensation
   including significant equity;
   - Technical leadership at an early stage startup aiming to shake up a
   valuable market; and
   - Flexible work environment focused on productivity.

We'd prefer someone in the SF Bay Area (we're in Oakland).
Principals only: no recruiters, no offshore.
Interested? Send a resume and cover letter to jobs[at]teampatent[dot]com