[Baypiggies] BayPiggies SCons talk in August: suggestions?

Steven Knight knight at baldmt.com
Thu May 8 06:47:09 CEST 2008

Hi all--

The recent thread about interest in a BayPiggies talk about SCons was
brought to my attention, so I've signed up to present in August.

Off the top of my head, I've thought of several different topics that
might be of interest to a Python-savvy audience:

    --  Standard introduction/tutorial for how to use SCons
    --  SCons development history
    --  Why (and how) SCons tries to act like an independent
application (that happens to use Python), instead of a set of Python
modules in the site-packages/ directory
    --  Why on earth SCons still runs under Python 1.5.2, and our
backwards compatibility infrastructure for doing so while still using
(some) features from more modern Python versions
    --  SCons' development methodology and testing infrastructure
(warning:  I'll start ranting about how TDD gets it wrong)
    --  Why hasn't SCons just replaced distutils already?
    --  ???

If you'd particularly like to hear about any of these, or some other
aspect of SCons I haven't mentioned above, please let me know.

If FTF feedback is easier, I'll be at the BayPiggies meeting tomorrow
night (Thursday 8 May) and plan to start attending regularly.  (I just
relocated from the Midwest this year to take a position with Google.
I was, however, consulting at VMware for the year or so before
that--hence the earlier thread's different, but not incorrect,
impressions about where the SCons founder was working...)

Best,

        --SK