[Baypiggies] Frequently Argued Objections

Alex Martelli aleax at google.com
Wed Jun 25 05:57:27 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 6:29 PM, Shannon -jj Behrens <jjinux at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Seems very direct to me -- the class's direct attributes are kept in
>> the class body's locals() while said body executes, and that's the
>> dict that's passed to the metaclass's __new__ (and possibly __init__)
> Thanks, Alex, I didn't know about that ;)

Oops -- my bad, I thought everybody needing such hyper-advanced
knowledge had it... but just now I notice it's one of the many
"hyper-advanced snippets" that ended up edited out of  the Nutshell to
keep it under 800 pages -- OOPS again, sorry, my bad.

Would there be interest in a Baypiggies talk on "SERIOUSLY Advanced
Python"?  E.g. some subset of (say...):

- object creation: class statement, class body, meta-classes, __new__,
and __init__
- attribute lookup mechanics and descriptor objects
- introspection on objects, garbage collection, stack frames, tracebacks
- Python bytecode inspection and alteration

I need to prep (and deliver;-) a talk like this pretty soon for my
YouTube colleagues, anyway, and it might be cool to reuse that
preparation for a Baypiggies talk, IF there were enough Baypiggies
people interested -- Aug or Sep, say.  Feel free to "vote" not just +
or - on the whole concept of a "seriously advanced Python" talk, but
also on each of the specific subjects mentioned there, or add any
"seriously advanced" subject I omitted. (I'm not so sure there's all
that much interest on ALTERING bytecode, for example, but, I did once
get a specific request about it -- while as far as I've probed right
now there doesn't seem to be as much interest in advanced uses of
generators as I'd have thought, which is why I didn't list that
specific subject up there...).  Feel free to answer either to the list
or to me personally -- I'll eventually summarize to the list any

Thanks,

Alex