[Baypiggies] hold a meeting at YouTube in San Bruno?

Alex Martelli aleax at google.com
Wed Jun 25 02:01:41 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 4:21 PM, William Deegan <bdbaddog at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Creative option #2...
> Does Google/Youtube have large video conferenced rooms available?

Yes we do, if we can find Google volunteers in each location -- not
sure about the situation at YouTube, but down here in MTV
videoconferencing is enabled in each of the rooms Baypiggies has met
over the years (Seville, Tunis, Paramaribo, &c). I suspect the San
Francisco Google office is similarly well placed in this respect --
if, again, we can find a SF googlers to volunteer for hosting that
site's meeting.

> Perhaps we could have a multi-location baypiggies meeting every once in a
> while?

Sure -- hey, once Guido and I spoke with a Python user group meeting
in Belo Horizonte, Brazil -- at the Google office there, of course,
and we were videoconferencing in from Mountain View.

With or w/o VC, I think it would be great for Baypiggies to meet
farther North (and even East maybe) at least once in a while;
selfishly speaking, I do of course appreciate the convenience of
having the meetings here, but it does seem quite unfair to Pythonistas
living much farther North or East -- under the assumption that some
such Pythonistas WILL volunteer to host the meeting of course (be it
at some Google office[s] or elsewhere)... if there are no such
volunteers then at least I won't feel unfair or selfish for the MTV
meetings any more;-).

Alex