[Baypiggies] Frequently Argued Objections

Warren Stringer warren at muse.com
Mon Jun 23 17:38:59 CEST 2008

Nope. I don't expect anything to change. I suggested dot-as-self to
Guido for P3K, but he said it was too late. That's fine. I appreciate
continuity.

However, in the context of a FAO, forcing self (along with implicit
parameter passing) is probably the biggest objection. It was the most
confusing thing to me, as a newbie and I've heard the same complaint
from others.  Ignoring the issue or suggesting that someone discuss it
somewhere else isn't going to make that objection magically disappear.
I have phrased the objection in the forum that the subject was brought
up. Three people have replied constructively, including yourself. I
have replied constructively. I find the suggestion (implicit or other
ways, hah!) that I then stop my input in this forum and take it
elsewhere to be less than constructive.

So, I'll raise one more Objection. I will state unequivocally that
Python is my favorite scripting language. I find a static structure in
languages  to be useful in making my code and other people's code more
interchangeable. However, stating the value of a static structure in
dogmatic terms, such as "we don't do it that way because that is not
how it is done" will put some people off. Myself included.

Anyway, it is Monday, and I have other things to do that tilt at
windmills.

Cheers,

\~/