[Baypiggies] Frequently Argued Objections

Andrew Toulouse baypiggies at atoulou.se
Fri Jun 20 00:28:45 CEST 2008

Those answers come off as somewhat insular or holier-than-thou. More than a
few people I know factored the Python community's lack of nerdraging into
their decision to learn it over Ruby. Not that you intended that, but some
people might take it as such.

I'd change a few answers. Forgive me if the answers are wrong, I'm a
journeyman, not a master of Python. Here are my answers to the first four:

A1. There are many reasons to make a language case-sensitive, not the least
of which being that many (possibly even most) other languages are also
case-sensitive. Case-sensitivity also encourages a sensible and consistent
naming style.

A2. Since Python's internals are standardizing on Unicode, strings are, by
default, Unicode. The 'u' tag no longer has a purpose, and with the break in
compatibility from 2.x to 3.0, now is the ideal time to remove it from the
language.

A3. There are many things that make languages faster or slower. It is often
the case that the more flexibility a language gives you, the harder it is to
optimize. C++ is fast because it is extremely explicit and much of its logic
can be optimized and transformed into machine code at compile-time. Python,
on the other hand, is much more dynamic, and allows the programmer a great
deal of functionality at run-time. With respect to the lack of lambdas, this
isn't entirely true. There are lambdas that aren't quite as useful as full
functions, but Python also supports nested function definitions, and
functions are first class. Anywhere a lambda can be used, a function can be
used, and you can define these within a local scope. If most of this flew
over your head, then take our word for it that Python is how it is to make
it easier to quickly write solid code. It should also be noted that Python
makes it easy to write C or C++ extensions, bypassing the overhead when
speed is needed more than flexibility.

A4. --- see A3

Andy Toulouse